Business Licences and Permits


You will need to find out what the requirements are for your specific local municipality, but here is some information from the Western Cape Government as to the business licences and permits required to run a food trailer business in the Western Cape.  Please follow the link to the source of the information.


“If you’re planning to start a business you’ll probably need a business licence. If your business needs a licence to operate you may not start trading until a licence has been issued.  Trading without a valid licence is a punishable offense.

To operate your business, you’ll need to comply with certain health and safety regulations. Certain businesses require only a business trading licence to operate, and some may need to comply with additional regulations.

A business licence is generally required for businesses that need to comply with health and safety regulations. You’ll have to apply for the licence if you want to start one of the following businesses:

Food provision

If your business sells or supplies meals or perishable food to eat on the premises or to take away, you’ll need a licence to do so.

Health and entertainment facilities 

You need a licence for:

Turkish baths, saunas and health baths,
Massage or infra-red treatments,
Male and female escort agencies,
Three or more slot machines and electronic games,
Three or more snooker or billiard tables,
Nightclubs and bars, where live or loud music is played, and
Adult entertainment premises.


If you’re a hawker selling food and meals, which you take from place to place or sell from a vehicle, you’ll need a permit.

Where do I apply for a business licence?

Your local municipality handles business licences and you can contact them for details on licensing procedures and the various health and safety regulations required for different kinds of business.

Depending on the type of business, you may need to comply with the following requirements:

  • Zoning
  • Health
  • Safety (particularly fire)

If you comply with all the requirements, you’ll be issued with a licence. If not, you can apply for a 14-day grace period, during which you can make changes to your premises so that they meet the requirements.

For more information please contact your local municipality.

Selling liquor

If you want to sell or manufacture liquor, the law requires you to apply for a liquor licence before you do.”

Kitchen Food Trailers - Vending Trailers, Food Trailers, Kitchen Trailers. Fully fitted, insulated, kitchen food vending trailers. Trailers Johannesburg. Custom Trailer - the best kitchen trailers on the market.